2011年8月7日 星期日

Clueless and Annoying Coworkers

One of my biggest challenges is clueless and annoying coworkers who always ask me clueless questions like, "What did you do over the weekend?", "Are you going anywhere on your vacation?" or "Do you have any plans for the weekend?" I am getting tired of answering their clueless questions.

Having an elderly parent whose health is tenuous and having no backup coverage, I have not been able to travel away from home for a number of years. My parent refuses strangers to come in and it's not something that I choose to fight with her about. So I take "staycations" which at least are relaxing and I am getting my affairs in order in the event that her health declines further. I am downsizing my possessions and getting my house ready for eventual sale since I do not plan on staying in it after my parent is gone. However, my coworkers do not seem to understand my lifestyle and seem to be constantly judging me, my mother, and what they believe my life should be like. I find this very tiresome and I find that I am constantly defending my life, my mother, and my choices with my coworkers.

I have not encouraged any conversation with them about it and in fact I am very reticent and almost isolate myself from conversation on the job but invariably my coworkers do ask a few questions and even when I give them very short answers, they often make judgmental comments.

I often feel upset and defensive after contact with them so I have tried to isolate myself in my cubical and not talk to them. How do other people approach this situation? Do you run into clueless and often nosy coworkers who try to give you unwanted advice about how to handle your parent?

沒有留言:

張貼留言